Friday, September 17, 2010

side hustle #14.

y'all know about my hobbies, right? graphic design, cooking, jewelry making, photography, writing,etc. well now i'm interested in sewing. i started a class last week and this is how i feel about it :

there's so much to learn, so many mistakes to be made and so many factors that go into making the perfect garment. and poking yourself with a quilting needle feels like a small death.

i sound like i'm complaining, but i'm actually quite thankful for the opportunity. the instructor is relatively inexpensive, compared to the large commercial classes offered at Jo Ann's Fabric. and she's really patient, which is good for me considering i'm a tard. i literally have a question a minute.

why am i sewing? well, i have a habit of coming up with great ideas in my mind, then i'll spend all my time searching online and malls for something that doesn't really exist. also, i'm tall and curvy. not everything that i fall in love with loves me back. it'll be nice to have tailor-made clothes. as i get older, i'm learning that i have expensive taste. i could literally save 90% by making things myself. so i'm going through frustration now, in order to eliminate it in the future. i hope & plan (& pray) to get good at this. i enjoy being self-sufficient where i can.

my instructor said she was impressed that i finished my skirt in the 1st class, since no one else has made that type of progress. i'm still trying to figure out if she's making that up.
i went back yesterday to add some Elle B flair to it (the vertical ruffle). had to make it fit my personality! i meant to take pictures of the process, but i was so overwhelmed it didn't happen. here's the finished product.


2 comments:

niel said...

Nice Elle...*thumbs up*

RHtheGR8 said...

Aye Bay Bay! Don't you look haute and spicey;-)

I mostly just wanted to say hi...and that you did NOT tell me about your blog Freckles. If I hadn't clicked your user name from when you'd commented...Grr...